Having a positive self-image
A positive body image comes with accepting and appreciating how you look and feel. Many people have times when they feel bad or guilty about their bodies. But thinking negative or destructive thoughts won't improve them. In fact, it often does the exact opposite. It takes time to learn to see your body in a new light and practice a new way of thinking about yourself. Try these tips and activities to get you started:
- Think about what your body can do instead of what your body can’t do.
- Find a physical activity that you enjoy and get your body moving. Find something that makes your body feel good, both physically and emotionally.
- Surround yourself with people who make you feel good about yourself.
- Think about what you would say to a friend or loved one who has a negative body image. Now imagine saying those things to yourself.
- Wear clothes that fit and make you feel better about your body.
- Have a critical eye when viewing images in the media. Ask yourself: Is what I'm seeing realistic or healthy?
- Create a list of your personal strengths, unique qualities, and accomplishments. Keep them handy to give yourself a reality check when you’re feeling down.